It’s tropical. It’s tasty. It’s purple — so purple, in fact, you might think you’re eating Barney’s melted cousin. I can assure you, however, that you are not. Barney and his family are safe (as far as I know). What you are consuming is açai — pronounced ahhh-sigh-eee! — which is a superfood. Alone, the açai berry isn’t the most delicious of fruits, but when pulped, frozen, and blended with a banana and some other add-ins, is a breakfast so dang good you’ll think it’s dessert. Or Barney. One or the other.
Where does the açai berry come from, you ask? The swamps of Central and South America. What’s more, it grows on an açai palm tree. So if you’re ever stuck in the swamps and grow starved, look out for a shady tree bursting with berries. Try to climb it. Harvest it. Make an açai bowl out of your yield. Then again, if you’re in a swamp, you probably didn’t think to bring a high-speed blender with you…
But if you’re dwelling in your home, you probably do have a blender lying around. If you don’t, then a food processor should do the trick. Oh, and you don’t have to search in the swamps for açai. It is sold at Publix. Just sayin’.
So here’s how to make your own açai bowl.
- 1 packet unsweetened açai
- 1 banana, frozen
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- ½-1 cup unsweetened almond milk, depending on how thick ya like it!
- A lil’ healthier: add 1 cup fresh, de-ribbed kale + ½ tsp spirulina
- A lil’ sweeter: add 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup + 1 tsp cinnamon
- A lil’ nuttier: add 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- A lil’ richer: add 1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder + 1 tablespoon almond butter
- A lil beachier: add ¼ cup frozen pineapple chunks + replace almond milk with coconut water
- Healthy fats: nut butter, coconut shreds, ground flaxseeds
- Healthy carbs: sliced bananas, sliced strawberries, raw oats
- Healthy proteins: crushed almonds, roasted pumpkin seeds, chia seeds
- Healthy treats: granola, coconut yogurt, pure maple syrup
My favorite combo? Base + A lil’ richer + sliced bananas, chia seeds, and coconut yogurt. Actually, I think I’ll go whip that bowl up right now…I’ve certainly built up an appetite writing this article — how about you?