Heavy sigh. The summer sun is sinking, lazy pool days coming to an end, and back-to-school commercials blaring. Say it ain’t so! Alas, my tongue is tied — it is so.
School’s almost back in session, and for busy moms, that means waking up at 6am to prep lunch for the kids. Another day, another pb&j. With a yawn, you wipe the sleep from your eyes, grab two slices of white bread, and slather on a thick layer of peanut butter and a smatter of jelly. That’ll do, you think. You toss the sad sandwich in a brown paper bag (or a superhero lunch box) with a bag of Doritos and some cut-up apples that’ll likely go uneaten.
I know we already had a heavy sigh, but let’s have another.
Good. And now we’re done with that. Because what if I told you you don’t have make the same ‘ol sandwiches every darn day? It’s 2018, for goodness sakes — it’s time for some new (and healthy) sammies!
- Apples & Almond Butter
- Trick your kids into eating an extra serving of fruit by making apples & almond butter sandwiches. Core an apple then slice it horizontally into thin circles. Spread on a layer of almond butter, then sprinkle cinnamon and drizzle agave on top. Close with another apple slice! Done and done.
- Chickpea “Chicken” Salad
- Chickpeas are high in protein, making them a great vegetarian alternative to chicken. Get the full recipe for a healthy spin on the classic chicken salad here.
- Coconut Strawberry Sunbutter
- Nut allergies? No problem. Sunbutter, made from sunflower seeds, makes a great (and slightly sweeter) substitute for peanut butter. Spread a layer of sunbutter on your head, then, to enhance the flavor, slice strawberries on top, sprinkle shredded coconut on top (for healthy fats), and close the sandwich!
- Even without the bacon, this sandwich is delicious (and way, way more nutritious). Avocado = healthy fats. Lettuce = nutrient-dense greens. Tomato = antioxidants. Get the full recipe here.
- Sweet Potato Sandwich
- An insanely delicious sandwich filled with roasted sweet potatoes, homemade horseradish, and more. Get the recipe here.
- Vegan Pesto Caprese Sandwich
- Pesto is the best-o. Bad joke? Maybe. Delicious sandwich? Definitely. Get the recipe here.
To make your sandwiches even healthier — but not compromise on taste — I recommend using either Ezekiel Bread or Dave’s Killer Bread. Both are full of whole grains, easy to freeze, filling, and way (way) healthier than white bread.
What was your go-to school lunch as a kid? Mine was a peanut butter and banana sandwich with pretzel thins and a red apple. Exciting stuff, I know.